The last petition we were pushing did not obtain enough votes, we will not stop until this is mandated. Please sign on the WHITEHOUSE.GOV website, it takes 2 seconds and they never send you emails.
[TW: rape jokes, misogyny, homophobia, ableism, fetishisation, racism, colourism]
- SO MUCH MISOGYNY in his music
- Thinks rape jokes are fine and hilarious: “I think it’s odd that you can’t joke about rape, when people joke about murder all the time. A lot more people are dying than getting raped. I think it’s a comedian’s job to make everything funny. Nothing is off-limits.”
- His sketch “Bro Rape”, starring him as the rapist
- “My sister has mental problems, but I use the word ‘r****d’ in my comedy. Do I love her any less? Would I go up to a mental ward and say: ‘You’re idiots’? No. I would never do that, but sometimes saying r****d is funny, it’s a release.”
- “I know people are right to complain, but those kids who say ‘m**g’ or ‘r****d’ won’t stop saying it, just because a comedian does.”
- He consistently fetishizes Asian women
- Lyrics linking Virginia Tech massacre to Asian people as a whole
- I don’t even want to begin to unpack his role on Girls (see the Lena Dunham YFIP post here), but luckily Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was kind enough to do it for us
- “Sometimes I just want to be seen as a sex object. I’m sure girls feel that way too.”
- Says “f****t” a whole lot (this video is one example, but he also does it a lot in his music)
- Has a joke entitled “Fighting a Midget”, which starts with him saying, “I got on the subway, and this little person came on the train. Are there any little people in the audience? No? Good, I’ll say midget”
- “I’d much rather have AIDS than a baby… They’re not that different, you guys… They’re both expensive. You have them for the rest of your life. They’re constant reminders of the mistakes you’ve made. And once you have them, you pretty much can only date other people who have them. What’s the difference?”
- Some real weird internalized racism: “I was having sex with this girl. And we were towards the end. And she goes, “Fuck me hard with that [n-word] dick.” And I stop… look at her right in the eye… and I came harder that I ever cum before. It was so awesome, you guys… It was almost worth being black my entire life”
- Enforcing the fake geek-girl stereotype. When asked what Childish Gambino groupies are like, he responded: “Pretty girls who try to be geeks but obviously aren’t. [adopts hipster tone] “Oh, I wear glasses and my hair is in a pigtail.” You’re hot! You’re not fooling me! There are no lenses in those glasses! But it’s awesome.”
- “I have an obsession with books about kids with Asperger’s syndrome. I like the way they think - it suits me. The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time by Mark Haddon is great. That and [Jonathan Safran Foer’s] Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - they’re on a separate bookshelf. They don’t understand what the other books are saying by their facial expressions, but they’re perfectly lined-up.”
- “Filipinos [are the] black girls of Asians” (remember that he says he dislikes black girls)
- “I’m blowin’ up like my swagger on the Gaza/I’m writing movies/where I’m making out with Aubrey Plaza/And homegirl my homegirl, it is not like that/But if she tried to rape me, I would not fight back”
- “I guess for a dude it’s never gonna be totally awful. You can’t really get raped unless it’s by a dude. If a girl forces sex on you it’s like, yeah, it was awful…but I had sex! I wasn’t in the mood…but I was hard.”
Is there more? Let me know! I don’t watch his standup, but I’m sure there’s a lot more problematic shit in there
if you use okcupid there’s a new browser extension to keep the creeps away!
you should really reblog and share this it could actually save lives
-starts singing James Blunt’s “You’re Beautiful”-
:] here friends
YO this is really good.
John on how he asked out Sarah for the first time:
So I sent an email to 7 of my friends, including Sarah, and I said, ‘Does anyone want to go see ‘Lost in Translation’ tonight?’ and then I sent an email immediately afterwards to the 6 of my friends who weren’t Sarah and I said, ‘NOT YOU.’
JOHN GREEN IS PERFECTION.
ANYONE WHO THINKS OTHERWISE IS WRONG.
I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but this seems very not cool to me. It’s underhanded and such a setup - I know I wouldn’t be happy if someone pulled this move on me. One of my best friends only likes this guy as a friend, but he’s had a crush on her for years. The only time she hangs out with him is during group situations, to avoid “giving him the wrong idea” about her feelings. She would definitely see a movie with him in a group - but not one-on-one.
If he pulled something like this on her, it would make her so uncomfortable, to show up and find that nobody else had come, and she was alone with that guy. The thing is, he’s an honest, upfront person, and wouldn’t do something like that.
This is not cute, guys. This is actually really inconsiderate of the other person’s feelings, when you think about it. If you really cared about them, you would ask them on a date honestly, and give them a chance to respond, knowing all the facts.
This would absolutely be The Shittiest.
And why do you need to trick women into going out with you? Either ask them out or just stay friends.
^^^all of that. pulling something like this is likely to get you shitcanned from the ‘dateable’ list.
[SPOILERS FOR THE BELLS OF ST JOHN
TW: mind control, child abuse, sexism]
What did you think of the ending for Ms Kizet? I thought it was horrible how she was ripped of all power , showing that throughout the whole time she’d been controlled by a…
While I get why people dislike Moffat’s portrayal of women through bad characterization….in this case……I honestly think it’s a big leap to assume that the alien entity “raped” her just because she grew up while they controlled her for years I mean really…I hate rape culture so much and it makes me red in the eyes to see, but in this case…I think its asinine to jump to rape just because someone was mind controlled for years. Especially considering the subject matter involves Doctor Who. There is a point of making too many wild leaps in his obviously sometimes sexist writing. and seriously, I think it makes the Great Intelligence a greater villain BECAUSE he disposed of the people as soon as the Doctor defeated them. He’s ruthless and that’s awesome. I think he was just going for the shock factor of deleting the memories and she had been under the control for that long. it’s sickening and terrifying and PERFECT for a VILLAIN.
….where in that post does it say she was raped? i specifically left out that leap of logic because it WAS a leap of logic. i was more worried about the great intelligence using her body as another form of manipulation, which WOULD be rape, but i wasn’t trying too heavily to imply that.
also i’m sick and tired of women being manipulated, controlled, abused, etc for ‘shock value’. that in and of itself is part of rape culture. it’s not perfect, it’s sick.
do you guys ever think about how outrageously fucking creepy the concept of “free drinks for ladies” is
Women have this notion that they can do whatever the hell they want and men should just e okay with it. Not all women of course, but those who are so against slut shaming and waiting until marriage are the vast majority. What women have to realize is that you reap what you sow, so if you are going outside barely dressed, you’ve got to expect sexual comments. If you don’t want it to happen, don’t dress like that! Same thing with chivalry. It’s dead because you killed it. If you want to be a strong independent woman, so be it, but you cannot expect to have men open doors for you and offer a tissue too. In this case, you can’t have your cake and eat it too.
Wearing clothing of any kind is not an invitation for sexual harassment. I expect men to be better than that. My thighs are not obscene. My middrift is not sexual. Shorts and a tank top are not an invitation to sexual harass someone. If I see a dude in swim trunks, I don’t feel obligated to wolf whistle and tell him how much I want his dick. Exposed skin is not an invitation for sex and sexual harassment.
Who even gives a shit about Chivalry? The entire notion of chivalry is deeply flawed, archaic, and sexist. It also focuses entirely on the historical relationship between white people, and fails to recognize the race disparity inherent in that concept.
What YOU are describing is basic manners. Holding a door open for someone? Offering people tissues when they sneeze, or otherwise need one? Yeah, that’s basic politeness for EVERYONE, not some special select code for manly men to protect their dainty maidens.
the cognitive dissonance for these arguments is fucking ridiculous
‘IF YOU GO OUTSIDE UNDERDRESSED YOU SHOULD EXPECT CATCALLS’
‘CHIVALRY!!! MEN JUST WANT TO BE POLITE TO YOU WOMENZ!!’
either you have men attempting to be decently condescending or you have men being slobbing dogs all the time.
you can’t have it both ways
#safetytipsforladies: A hashtag about how tired women are of being told to do stupid, ineffective, unrealistic things to avoid being raped.
“try becoming Medusa, or if that is too difficult, a basilisk.”
Not sure if laughing or crying.
TRY NOT KNOWING ANY MEN
(tw: rape, abuse, images of assault at 4th link)
I’ve never asked anyone to reblog anything before, and I probably won’t again. But I am now - because this matters.
The Steubenville rape victim, when offered money for her legal expenses or counselling, asked that people donated to a shelter for abused women and children in her county, Madden House, instead.
Her attorney spoke in a local news article on why the family wanted this, and said they hope very much that “the attention … can help other people that have been victimized by this type of crime,” Fitzsimmons said, “and give them some strength and some assurance that people are there to help them when that happens.”
You can donate as little as $2 via your Paypal account to Madden House. (You can also navigate their website from that link, to be sure it’s a charity you can also believe in.) When I donated back in January, they had a message up that said, “Every single cent says, ‘We believe you, and we care.’” They had to remove it almost at once. I’m sure you can deduce the reasons why, in a case where even her status as “victim” was challenged before the trial.
The best way to show you support Jane Doe is to make a donation, however small and leave a Paypal note when you do saying “In the name of Jane Doe, Steubenville.” They are telling her how many people donate in her name so it’s a direct way of letting her know. Even if all you can afford is a dollar, a thousand Tumblr users donating that is a thousand dollars for abuse victims. And it’s also a thousand people telling her directly that they, unlike the likes of CNN and her erstwhile “friends”, care about her, support her, and believe in her. It’s what she has actually asked people to do. In a case where she has been so effectively silenced and sidelined, I think acknowledging she’s been heard is particularly important.
I think it says so much about this girl and her parents, that when met with offers of serious money they immediately asked that it went to a charity that helps other victims of violence instead. They are extraordinary people in my opinion, and that’s why she had the strength to come forward. Images of two other girls, naked and face down on that basement carpet, were found on a phone. The boy insisted he’d never seen them before, and had no idea who they were of. Jane Doe may well not have been speaking up only for herself. She has very possibly saved others with her courage. She deserves so much more respect than the mainstream media have given her.
If you can’t donate, I really do understand. I’ve been broke before too. But please, do reblog. Get the message out. There is a genuine, positive way to support the victim, in the way she has asked for, and this is it.
Sorry it’s so long. There are so many scams online that I wanted to provide ample links, so there can be no doubt this is legit. Please, if you can, donate/reblog. Show Jane Doe what you think of her.